About J.R.D. Tata Memorial Library (JRDTML)
The J.R.D. Tata Memorial Library (JRDTML) completed its centenary year of establishment in 2011. Started in 1911, the JRDTML was one of the earliest central facilities to have been started by the Indian Institute of Science for teaching and research. Initially, the JRDTML was housed in the majestic main building. The JRDTML moved into the present premises in January 1965, built out of grants provided by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in commemoration of the golden jubilee celebrations of the Indian Institute of Science in 1959. In 1995, the library was renamed as "J.R.D. Tata Memorial Library". The JRDTML is centrally located and its total area measures more than 54,000 sq. ft.
The primary objective of the JRDTML is to support the educational and research programs of the institute by providing physical and online access to information, consistent with the present and the anticipated educational and research functions of the institute. In accordance with the objectives of the institute, over the years, the JRDTML has been developing a comprehensive collection of peer-reviewed scholarly literature useful for the faculty and the research community of the institute. The secondary objective is to serve as a resource center for the scholars and scientific community in India.